Wednesday, November 16, 2011

American Care Bear Nation

   When I first discovered that American Horror Story was going to be debuted on FX, I nearly shit myself with Glee (pardon the pun). I wasn't expecting too much from it, but the thought of a horror show with sex, violence, and all the unclean spirits you could possibly ask for coming to a channel OTHER than HBO or Skinemax? Yes, please.

   Maybe I'm a desensitized shit, but I thought last week's "Piggy Piggy" episode with the so-called "re-enactment" of the Columbine shootings was necessary. I never thought there was going to be such a ruckus involved with that epi; although I probably should've, due to the fact that we are living in a country that begs to be censored even though people parade around, waving the "I want free speech" flag every five seconds.

   Since we haven't completely gotten through the first season of AHS yet, I can't really say what the writers' intentions were. But coming from a writer's perspective, I can understand why it was necessary. In order to show the duality of Tate Langdon's character, which I have a feeling is going to especially come into play in a few episodes from now, the true horror of what he did to those high school students had to be shown, in graphic detail. We can't really hate him or love him without knowing all parts of his character, no?

   And don't get me wrong, I can see why some people who were close to the Columbine incident could be a little upset by this particular scene. That's like me watching a tv show that has a car accident in it, and if I had been in a car accident before, and it was particularly traumatic...yeah, I wouldn't want to see a car accident.

   But for everybody else to get their panties in a twist over creative license...jeezum crow. We're definitely living in a Care Bear nation where people get offended over all the wrong shit. We currently have television that glorifies biker gangs (Sons of Anarchy), worships the idea of a 'nice' serial killer (Dexter), and now a show where a ghost is in love with a chick and he happened to shoot some kids at his high school when he was alive (AHS). So what's the difference between the three? All three could be considered 'bad'. So why is one worse than the other?

  They're not. It's all about perspective. My perspective says, fuck yeah, Tate Langdon. I want to know more about you and why you did what you did to those kids. Hell, they may have even deserved it. I'll keep my judgement to myself until further notice though, unlike the rest of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment