Tuesday, August 23, 2011

How I Love Thee, Phantasmagore...

   Deadsy has been one of my favorite bands since I was a young, moshing lass decked out in spike bracelets with handcuffs attached to my oversized, baggy pants. I first saw them live when I was 16 years old, and it was probably one of the most amazing live shows I've ever seen. Granted, I was coming down off of an alcohol buzz in Greenville, SC that evening, (for some reason, the ancient, wrinkled crone handing out Budweiser bracelets gave me one), but it was a great experience. I ended up taking tons of photos from my second row perch, but I was unable to see any of them because some asshole stole my camera during the show. I'm smart these days; I keep my camera looped around my wrist. That way, if anybody tries to take it, it doubles up as a weapon. I'm all for every day items that can double up as weapons.

   Anyhoo, back to Deadsy. They're on a bit of a hiatus at the moment, and I'm not quite sure why. They're very talented, delving into a genre of music that lead singer Elijah Blue calls "undercore". He is the son of Cher and Greg Allman, so it's hard not to be talented when you come from such excellent genes. But he's also crazy due to his genes; he once revealed that he took a swim in the lake of Paris Hilton unprotected, and scrubbed his cock with Tilex to wash off the offending nastiness he figured he must've contracted. I shit you not about that one; google it if you don't believe me.

   Their first album, Commencement, is not fabulous. The only songs I really like on it are "Key to Gramercy Park" and "She Likes Big Words". Their second and maybe even final album, Phantasmagore, is about fifteen steps up from their first. There are more guitars as opposed to synthesizers, the lyrics are a little more easy to digest, and their cover of the Stones' "Paint It Black" is better than the original, in my not-so-humble opinion.

   So what is Deadsy up to nowadays? After a change in line-up and the announcement of their taking a break, Elijah Blue has since moved to Germany and is allegedly working on a solo project by the name of Elijah Blue and The Trapezoids. I believe this to be an occult reference due to what I know of Elijah; I think he's big into Aleister Crowley and the Order of the Trapezoid, but don't quote me on that.

   If you're interested in checking it out, go to YouTube and look up some of the sample songs from Elijah Blue and The Trapezoids. This material has the potential to be bigger and better than anything Deadsy ever released.

  Also, if you're a bit of a deviant, check out the single "Itsy Bitsy Titsy Girl" by Deadsy. That was one of the first songs I was ever introduced to by them, and it is horribly wonderful and funny. I put it on a mixed CD and played it at one of my then-best-friends' sixteenth birthday parties. I don't want to ruin the surprise of the meaning of the lyrics, so that's all I'm gonna say.

No comments:

Post a Comment